A Matter of Balance | Free Community Education Program
Posted on September 28, 2023
Senior Adults, You are Invited to Join SMPDD in October and November for A Matter of Balance.
Do you have concerns about falling? Southern Mississippi Planning & Development District (SMPDD) is offering free classes for senior adults to manage their risks and concerns about falls. A Matter of Balance is an award-winning program designed to manage falls and increase activity levels. Many older adults restrict their activities due to their concerns about falling. Our goal is to offer a program that helps adults apply practical strategies to manage falls.
Benji Cooley, PT, Physical Therapist, Terrell Edwards, EP, ATC, Exercise Physiologist, and Kourtney Murphy, DPT, Physical Therapist, from South Central Rehabilitation Services will provide education, tips and lifestyle management tools for attendees. Other community leaders will be on-site to provide additional information.
During this program, attendees will learn to:
- View falls as controllable
- Set goals for increasing activity
- Make changes to reduce fall risks at home
- Exercise to increase strength and balance
Who should attend?
- Anyone concerned about falls
- Anyone interested in improving balance, flexibility and strength
- Anyone who has fallen in the past
- Anyone who has restricted activities because of falling concerns
Classes will be held at the YWCO in Laurel on Mondays at 1 p.m. on the following dates:
- October 9 – Benji Cooley, PT
- October 16 – Terrell Edwards, EP, ATC
- October 23 – Kourtney Murphy, DPT
- October 30
- November 6
- November 13
This is a free workshop, but registration is required. To sign up, please call the YWCO at 601-428-5694 or SMPDD at 228-868-2311.
Location of class: 428 W. Oak Street, Laurel MS, 39440
Click here for more details.